25 September 2011

I WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE

This weekend my dad, stepmom, sister came to Paris. And they brought gifts! Dutch cheese, an applepie, all my warm vests, pyjamas and.. a BIKE! It is the most beautiful bike in the whole wide world; and it's mine. 


We went for a very late lunch in Neuilly and not too long after that a very late diner in Paris. Obviously we had to go by bike because I couldn't wait any longer to try it out.


Sunday morning I woke up 6pm for I was too excited to sleep. So I drove with my bicycle through the empty streets while I saw sun rising above the city. Paris is big, the main streets are always crowded and there is always someone around. However, this morning it was extremely quiet.
Anyone who has visited Paris by car knows that the Charles de Gaulle - Étoile  -   the enormous roundabout that encircles the Arc de Triomphe - knows that it is the most dangerous place to drive any kind of vehicle. This morning there only were a few random cars and that was all. You could have danced on the street if you would have wanted to. I didn't do it because I have a big roundabout-trauma - yes, I'm serious.
It was an enchanting moment to be (almost) alone with the Arc de Triomphe.

 In the afternoon we went to Monmartre. The highest quarter in Paris. I don't recommend going there by bike. We did have a very good lunch at le Bouillon Chartier, a very cheap but classy bistro that used to be a warehouse.
My dad used to go there when he was a student, and the place hasn't changed in 40 years time. The waiters are sharp and quick; your bill is written on the table (paper placemat) and carottes rapées au vinaigrette still has the spectacular price of 1 euro and 90 cents. When you come alone, you will be seated at the same table with another lonely stranger. The waiters are not afraid to ignore you or be rude, but if you talk to them they are funny and generous (I got a free postcard).

The authentic interiour of le Chartier
le Bouillon Chartier; 7 rue du Faubourg Monmartre

I have enjoyed the time we have spent together as a family; I'll probably return to Holland during the Autumn Holidays here in France. Three weeks spent, only three more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment