03 October 2011

NUIT BLANCHE / CUPCAKES

The 2nd of october the Nuit Blanche (a night with expositions, art, music, parties everywhere in the city) . It was also Paris Fashion Week, and on top of that Saturday night. However, the nightbuses did not manage to work. I encountered this rather unusual fact at 3am when I wanted to return to my home in a not so sober state of being. Then I found out all the taxis were occupied. So I made new friends and together we waited happily - dispair creates deep friendship - for the first metro to depart. On our way to the metro, around 5:30am some drunk Irish gentlemen joined us. They were a good addition to our little group for they kept away scary men by being a bit scary themselves. The first metro departed at 5:50am. We all had to go to the same direction but I was too tired - I avoid the word irritated -  to stay with our little companionship, so I went alone. The very moment I arrived at my transit to line 1, I remembered that line 1 is closed until 10 every sunday. Right. The only option there was left, was to walk. So I put on my iPod and started to stroll, all alone, all by myself, at six in the morning, while occupied taxis honked when they drove by (I only cursed at them a little bit, really). I wandered from the Louvre to la Concorde (which is "only" 2 km) and then randomly bumped into my old little friend group. What a coincidence! So we waited on the side on the road, together, like vagabonds. The sun got up, Nuit Blanch had ended. The moment the sky turned red a cab pulled over and took us along. I was dropped of in front of the gate, and the Irish were so kind to pay the expenses of the taxi. Hello my dear refrigerator! Hello my soft bed! I guess it is true that end good means all good.




Luckily there was a lot to see during the day.




The best cupcakes, cheesecake and other delights are to be found in Berko, a cake store near Centre Pompidou. It is almost like a club with energetic music, crowded with people and a long queue in front of the store with tourists waiting to enter. We tried the oreo- cheesecake and it was truly delicious.



They have so many flavours! Banana cream pie, Crème Brulée Cheesecake, Red Velvet American Cupcakes...  Cupcakes are 2 EUR each and a piece of cheesecake costs 4,60 (but you can easily share it with to persons). They also have a blog where they show mouthwateringly pictures. Imagine when  they would include the recipes (I would be really fat)...

Berko Bakery, 23 Rue Rambuteau, Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment